Step 1: Once you have determined that permission is required to include copyrighted works in your event or document, the following steps will be necessary.
Obtain information for the source of the copyrighted work:
- Author of original work
- Journal title
- Article title
- Volume number
- Year of publication
- Page range for article
- Image specifics (i.e, page number, figure number)
Gather information about your intended program or “use”:
- Title of intended use (program or publication title)
- Author/presenter of intended use
- Date of intended use
- Meeting date or 3-6 months for journal use
- Journal circulation or number of attendees at your live meeting
Format for use: print, electronic, or both
Need to specify if smartphone app, iPad, Website, etc.
Step 2: Once all information about the copyrighted work has been gathered and aspects of the intended program or “use” have been identified, you are ready to submit to the publisher, CLA or CCC for permission.
Most journal publishers have web-based ordering via RightsLink (http://www.copyright.com/publishers/rightslink-permissions/) attached to each article online (often found on the right side of the web page). This is provided by the Copyright Clearance Centre.